001
002
003
004

Summary of Appearances

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The Ocala Historic District is located adjacent to the east edge of the Ocala central business district, from which the neighborhood has expanded continuously since circa 1880. The 55 blocks of the 172.5 acre neighborhood are laid out in a grid pattern. The major eastward artery into the district is SE Fort King Street, which connected Ocala, the supply port at Silver Springs, and Fort King as early as 1827. By 1884 large Queen Anne Revival residences had begun to develop eastward along Fort King Street. Another important eastward route is SE Fifth Street; the influence of the Florida Boom is exemplified by the revival style residences on large sites along Fifth. The remaining east-west routes are designated Street or Place, numbered southward from Fort King Street, which has maintained its historic name. North-south routes are designated Avenue or Terrace, numbered eastward from the town center. The extensive coverage of Live Oak trees, small planned green-spaces, landscaping, and natural flora around low areas are significant to the visual character of the district. Schools. and churches are the only original exceptions to residential use in the district. Some professional offices have been established in residences along Fort King Street. The residential scale of primarily one and two story structures is maintained throughout.

Buildings significant for their design, materials, construction, and associated within the time frame of l880 through 1930 are designated contributory and are listed as "C" or coded red on accompanying lists and maps. Buildings within the time frame which have undergone major structural alterations incompatible with the time frame are listed as A or coded yellow; there are only seven such structures noted in the district. Non-contributing buildings (listed as "N", colored blue) fall into the following categories: (a) modern structures whose materials, scale, and character are compatible with the older structures of the district, but which were built after 1930; (b) modern structures which do not conform in scale, design, and time frame, such as contemporary apartment buildings.

The Ocala Historic District boundary to the west follows SE Watula Avenue and abuts the Ocala central business district. In this area are the early schools and churches of the district. The north boundary is defined by Fort King Street, jutting northward as required to include the surviving contributory structures between Fort King Street and Silver Springs Boulevard. The east boundary follows Thirteenth Avenue, which defines the extent of the East Fort King Addition of 1928 and the Mayo-Oakleigh Subdivision of 1929; visually, this marks a change in scale and time frame, and historically, marked the end of the Florida Boom. Eighth Street defines the south boundary of the district; beyond this major east-west artery lie the significant but more recent Idylweir Subdivision and the contrasting character of the Magnolia Place and Glenview areas.