Architectural Styles in the District
- Queen Anne Revival
- Mediterranean Revival
- Classic Revival
- Tudor Revival
- American Bungalow
- Georgian Revival
- Colonial Revival
- Carpenter Gothic
In 1880 Joseph Caldwell platted a 50 block area southeast of the original city plat and part of the Spanish land grant of 1817. By 1884 the John Dunn House had been built at 416 Fort King Street, a noteworthy example of Queen Anne Revival influence with asymmetrical massing, balustraded veranda, and decorative shingles. This influence, which continued in the outward development along Fort King Street, is exemplified by the decorative shingles and veranda of the circa 1888 Gary House at 521 the asymmetry and sunburst detail of the circa 189l Chambliss House at 743, the decorative two-story bay of the circa 1891 Bullock House at 808, and the expansive Burford House at 943, built after 1893 with offset turret and veranda. Other examples include the Rheinauer House at 840, the Blake House at 726 SE Fourth Street and the Carlisle House at 822 SE Third Street.
The development trends established in the district continued through the turn of the century. Classic Revival influence in the district is exemplified by the Marshall House, built at 906 Fort King Street circa 1906, and extensively detailed with bracket modillions, frieze, and Ionic veranda columns. Classic Revival influence is also evident in the R.B. Bullock House, built circa 1912 at 611 SE Third Street. The turreted Thomas House at 706 SE Ninth Avenue, built circa 1907, the Osborne House next door at 610 built by 1912, the Camp House built by 1912 at 910 Fifth Street exemplify the continuation of the Queen Anne Revival influence in the expanding neighborhood. One of the most significant structures in the district, the Edwards House at 810 Fifth Street built circa 1909 is a unique example of Romanesque and Queen Anne Revival influences in local stone and wood shingle, with a dominant horizontal band of stained glass windows. A carriage house in the same style stands on the generous site.
The second decade of the twentieth century witnessed a trend toward increasingly massive structures and more generous sites, a development which corresponded to the growing significance of the citrus industry, phosphate mining, livestock breeding, and tourism to the local economy. The eastward development of large revival style residences along Fifth Street documents the boom period in Ocala.
The Clarence Camp House at 943 Fifth Street, built by 1912, reflects the Georgian Revival influence in quoin corners, contrasting belt course, and finely detailed entry. The Colonial Revival influence is represented by the Walter C. Ray House at 954 Fifth Street, built by circa 1926 with two story columns, dormers, fan light, and keystones. A smaller example of Colonial Revival is the A.G. Gates House at 1126 Fifth with shutters and swan neck pediment.
Excellent examples of the Mediterranean Revival style, assimilating elements of Spanish and Italian architecture, occur in the eastward growth along Fifth Street. The W.J. Edwards House at 840 Fifth Street, built circa 1928, reflects the Mediterranean influence in its arcaded entry, tile roof, and contrasting brick detail. The arcaded stucco Robert Camp House at 930, circa 1912 and the circa 1930 Alfred MacKay House at 1027 with pilastered balcony and detailed entry are excellent examples of a popular style of the Florida Boom period.
The extensively landscaped sites and large revival style structures culminate at the 1200 block, canopied with massive oaks, in a group of three Tudor Revival residences. Ornamental half timbering and steeply pitched roof forms unify the Drake House at 1226 the Judge Hocker House 1238 and the Dr. Cummings House at 1252.
Other examples of Tudor Revival influence in the district include the small brick cottage at 1213 SE Third Street, built by 1918 and expertly detailed with baroque curved entry, double flue chimney, and strap hinges. The Kemp House at 1006 Fort King Street, built in 1938, is a noteworthy example of the compatible development which has continued to the present in the district.
The growing residential district reflected the strength of the middle class, as well as the wealthy and influential. The Davidson subdivision of 1912 in the southwest section of the Caldwvell Survey included a number of small, substantial residences.
The popularity of the American bungalow is reflected in the district. An excellent example is the small yellow brick bungalow with tile hipped roof and eyebrow ventilators at 23 SE Twelfth Terrace. Across the street at 24 SE Twelfth Terrace is a small wood frame bungalow with lime rock foundation. Noteworthy examples in local limestone are the small bungalows at 607 Wenona. A significant limestone bungalow with tile roof and arched French doors is located at 1100 Fort King on a large site adjacent to Taylor's Pond. These bungalows all appear on the 1930 Sanborn Map.
Throughout the development of the district, vernacular buildings persisted, compatible in scale and materials with the more elaborate examples. The Emanuel Martin House at 720 SE Ninth Avenue is a good example of the typical two story hip roofed residence and was built prior to 1924. The two story residence with pent eave and hip roofed porch at 509 Tuscawilla is a good example of rental units for working people in the district; it appears on the 1912 Sanborn Map. The high hip roofed residence with rusticated concrete block piers at 615 Eighth Street is a good example of the typical single story frame residence built prior to 1924.
As the district grew, schools and churches were built in the western part of the residential suburb, adjacent to the central business district. The Grace Episcopal Church, consecrated in 1907, is a significant example of Carpenter Gothic. The present First Presbyterian Church with traditional steeple was built in 1927. Adjacent to this church is the First Baptist Church at 611 Third Street. This massive brick edifice reflects the Classical Revival Style, with Corinthian columns and portico on raised base. The Ocala High School and Gymnasium, built circa 1925 on Watula Avenue are good examples of education architecture of the 1920's.
Except for the noted churches and schools, the district is primarily residential. A few residences have been modified to apartments or condominiums. The Holder House at 733 Fort King Street, built circa 1906, is an excellent example of craftsmanship in a conversion to condominium some residences along the boundaries of the district have been converted to professional offices. The Jewett House at 850 Fort King Street, built circa 1912, is a good example of such an adaptive use. Exterior alterations within the district have been minimal.