Student and Emerging Artist Exhibit:
A Juried Art Competition
May 9 – July 26, 2018 at Ocala City Hall
Call For Entries
The City of Ocala and the Magnolia Art Xchange invite artists between ages 16 and 30 to submit entries for the 2018 REFLECTIONS competition and exhibit. Artists are to create work inspired by the theme REFLECTIONS. Work will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The juror will award winners in each division and Best of Show. Judge’s decisions will be final. Awards will be given at the discretion of the judge and presented at the reception on Thursday, May 10, 2018. Click here for a PDF version.
Each artist may submit one piece for exhibition and judging. All entries must be accompanied by:
• Artist Statement*
• Photograph of artwork in .jpg file format with a resolution of at least 1900 pixels in the widest dimension. Photos can be emailed, or artists can mail printed photos, a CD or USB thumb drive with digital images.
• Entries must be submitted no later than Monday April 23, 2018. Entries are to be submitted via email to email@example.com or mailed to City of Ocala Cultural Arts Office, 828 NE 8th Ave Ocala, FL, 34470.
• Artists whose entries are accepted will be notified no later than Friday, April 27, 2018.
Specifications and Restrictions
Only original drawings, oils, watercolors, acrylics, graphics, photography, mixed media, fiber and sculpture completed within the last two years may be submitted. All work must be properly prepared for display.
Pieces to be hung must be framed and wired for hanging.* Hanging pieces have a weight limit of 75 lbs.
Sculpture must be able to be displayed on a stand no larger than 16”w x 16”d x 48”h. Stands required for sculpture must be provided by the artist.*
Unacceptable work includes: crafts, jewelry, copies of published work, pieces requiring electricity, or pieces more than 60 inches in width. Work must be appropriate for an exhibit that will be viewed by individuals of all ages. The City of Ocala and Magnolia Art Xchange reserve the right to refuse art work of questionable subject matter.
Sale of art work is encouraged and work will be offered for sale at the price originally stated by the artist on the entry form. There is no commission on sales. The City of Ocala reserves the right to reproduce accepted work in newsletters, news media, on their websites, and in other promotional uses. The City of Ocala will insure all entries. All entries must be accompanied by a Hold Harmless and Indemnification Agreement.
The City of Ocala and the Magnolia Art Xchange invite artists between ages 16 and 30 to submit entries for the 2018 REFLECTIONS competition and exhibit. Artists are to create work inspired by the theme REFLECTIONS. Work will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The juror will award winners in each division and Best of Show. Judge’s decisions will be final. Awards will be given at the discretion of the judge and presented at the reception on Thursday, May 10, 2018.
AWARD LEVELS: Best of Show, PLUS 1st – 3rd in each division
AWARDS = $2,000 VALUE:
• Artist Profile in Ocala Style Magazine (Best of Show)
• Professional Artwork Scan (1st Place each Division)
• Scholarships to College of Central Florida (High School Division)
• Appleton Museum of Art Memberships, Art Walk Memberships, MCA Memberships, Scholarships to College of Central Florida
Deadline for Entry Submissions ..... Monday, April 23, 2018 11:59pm
Drop Off Artwork ......................... Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:30pm – 5:00pm
Opening Reception........................ Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:30pm – 7:00pm
Show Closes.................................. Thursday, July 26, 2018
Pick Up Artwork .......................... Friday, July 27, 2018 3:30pm – 5:00pm
Drop Off Instructions
• Accepted artwork must be dropped off at City Hall on
Tuesday, May 8, 2018 between 3:30pm and 5:00pm.
• All artwork must be accompanied by an Identification Card.
Pick Up of Work
• Accepted artwork must remain in the gallery through the end of the show and must be picked up according to the stated schedule.
• The City of Ocala will not be responsible for work left after the close of the exhibition.
For questions or more information contact:
City of Ocala, Cultural Arts Office
Visit www.maxocala.org to learn about Magnolia Art Xchange.